3 Predicate Proposals - organizational unique identifiers: CAGE code, GSA Unique Entity Identifier, DUNS number

CAGE Code

Field Name: CAGE code

Definition: Five-character alpha-numeric, unique identifier assigned and managed by the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), which provide a standardized method of identifying a given facility at a specific location.

Tooltip definition of the predicate: Code assigned to a company or organization by the Defense Logistics Agency.

Type of value: text

# of accepted values: multiple
Note: it is expected that many organizations will only have one CAGE code. However, allowing multiple CAGE codes is acceptable for very large government contractors that can have tens or hundreds of CAGE codes that align to various sub-parts of their organization.

Constraints: subject must be an Organization

Examples of proper use:

• ‘Ginkgo Bioworks’ ‘CAGE Code’ is ‘563U7’ - this is the CAGE code that matches the Ginkgo Bioworks organization

Examples of improper use:

• ‘Ginkgo Bioworks’ ‘CAGE Code’ is ‘3GR37’ - this CAGE code matches an organization named Bioworks LLC, but NOT Ginkgo Bioworks

Usage in other schemas:

Url format: https://cage.dla.mil/Search/Results?q={CageCode}

GSA Unique Entity Identifier

Field Name: GSA Unique Entity Identifier

Definition: A twelve character alphanumeric Unique Entity Identifier (UEI) assigned to a company or organization by the US General Services Administration (GSA)

Tooltip definition of the predicate: Unique Entity Identifier (UEI) assigned to a company or organization by the US General Services Administration.

# of accepted values: multiple
Note: it is expected that many organizations will only have one GSA UEI code. However, allowing multiple codes is acceptable for very large government contractors that can have multiple codes that align to various sub-parts of their organization.

Examples of proper use:

• ‘Ginkgo Bioworks’ ‘GSA Unique Entity Identifier’ is ‘ZRHJUJQSBRA4’ - this is the UEI code that matches the Ginkgo Bioworks organization

• ‘Ginkgo Bioworks’ ‘GSA Unique Entity Identifier’ is ‘TVNPENNFC443’ - this UEI code matches an organization named Bioworks LLC, but NOT Ginkgo Bioworks

DUNS Number

Field Name: DUNS Number

Definition: Nine-digit identifier issued by Dun & Bradstreet that uniquely identifies an organization.

Tooltip definition of the predicate: Nine-digit identifier issued by Dun & Bradstreet that uniquely identifies an organization.

# of accepted values: single

Citation: required

Examples of proper use:

• ‘Ginkgo Bioworks’ ‘DUNS number’ is ‘827811626’ - this is the DUNS number that matches the Ginkgo Bioworks organization

• Using the DUNS number for a subsidiary instead of the DUNS number for the top or headquarters for the organization would be improper use

Usage in other schemas:

@jed This looks good! Minor question on DUNS. I see quite a few existing DUNS codes listed on Golden entities with hyphens. ie, 36-240-7041. Is that worth listing under Examples of improper use, or will we just force this by only allowing that format without hyphens (with an accompanying error message) to be entered in the field?

@jed One other minor question on GSA Unique Entity Identifier. It looks like in most places this is referred to as Unique Entity Identifier (SAM). ie,

https://www.gsa.gov/about-us/newsroom/news-releases/gsa-systems-switch-to-unique-entity-id-sam-on-april-4-2022-03162022

And I also see the previous/current name for this field is “SAM.gov Unique Entity Identifier”.

Do you think it is worth including the (SAM) in parens, given it may be listed in some sources as a SAM number? ie, SAM UEI Information - Kansas Department of Commerce

@jed Just to make some of these definitions a bit more precise and self-explanatory for a predicate definition page, I would suggest:

CAGE code definition: “A five-character alpha-numeric, unique identifier assigned and managed by the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA). Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) codes are assigned to suppliers of various government or defense agencies, government agencies themselves, or other organizations. CAGE codes provide a standardized method of identifying a given facility at a specific location.”

Sources that I’m pulling that definition from: Commercial and Government Entity code - Wikipedia, What is a CAGE Code and Why Does a Government Contractor Need it?

GSA Unique Entity Identifier definition: “A twelve character alphanumeric unique Entity Identifier (UEI) assigned to a company or organization by the US General Service Administration (GSA) agency. Also referred to as the SAM UEI.”

[I think this definition is correct? Having a hard time finding information about the GSA identifier online, I guess because it’s new]

Source: https://www.coleygsa.com/government-transitions-to-the-unique-entity-identifier/

DUNS Number definition: “Nine-digit identifier issued by Dun & Bradstreet that uniquely identifies an organization. A Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) identifier serves as the universal standard to track businesses worldwide, and is required for businesses that contract with government agencies. DUNS numbers remain the same for the entire life of a business.”

Sources: What Is A DUNS Number & Why Are They Important? | FAMR, What Is a D-U-N-S Number and How is it Used?

Might be more naive to these identifiers than others but I think this will be generally useful information, and could also be leveraged by validators when validating these predicates

@jen - DUNS w/ hyphens - I think we should force this format when values are entered, either by giving users an error message or stripping out non-numbers when entered.

re: UEI, the name should really be “Unique Entity Identifier” but that’s so general that I wanted to make sure we were clear that it was aligned to the UEI that is managed by the GSA. On golden.com right now it’s labeled with SAM.gov, but I think it’s better to reference the GSA since that’s the organization that actually manages these numbers/process. (I can re-label that shortly.)

@leeds - good points. I took bits and pieces from what you posted and updated the descriptions above.

1 Like

CAGE Code predicate vote

• Yes, implement this predicate
  • No - do not implement

0 voters

GSA Unique Entity Identifier predicate vote

• No - do not implement

0 voters

DUNS Number predicate vote

• No - do not implement

0 voters

Based on the voting above, the predicate definitions above have been approved. They will be added as web3 predicates in Golden soon!

This thread will now be closed and tagged appropriately.

2 Likes