Predicate Proposal - Date of Birth

Date of Birth

• Value statement: The date of birth of a person is a generally useful piece of contextual information about the person. This can also be used as a minimum disambiguation triple for people as it significantly reduces the number of entities in the search space (although its worth noting the distribution of birthdays across all people is not uniform)
  • Definition: “The official date of birth of this person, as evidenced by a resource officially owned by, operated by, or directly affiliated with the person stating their birth date. Official documentation, such as a birth certificate, may also provide evidence.“
  • Tooltip definition of the predicate: “The birth date of this person”
  • Type of value: Date
  • For enums - all possible values: N/A
  • # of accepted values: One
  • Inverse Properties and Name: N/A
  • Examples of proper use:
  • Examples of improper use:
    • Apple’ → ‘Date of Birth’ → ‘4/1/1976’ is incorrect, as Apple does not have the value “is a”–> ‘Person’. This date is the founding date of the company and should be include in ‘Founded Date’.
  • Usage in other schemas:
  • Constraints: Entity should have value ‘is a’ → ‘Person’
  • Masculine/Feminine Form: N/A
  • Restrictions (ie PII concerns): N/A

@leeds This looks good! I am wondering for deceased people if we would need to modify slightly to accommodated things like estates or other official family-owned resources? Or do you think citations should be different for dead vs. living people?

@leeds I have noticed a number of uses of Birthdate for companies/organizations (ie, confusing with Founding date). ex. VeChain - Wiki | Golden
It might be worth noting in Examples of improper use? Or by restricting to Is a Person template?

It looks like there is a constraint in the definition that restricts it to entities of “Person” type. But I think adding an example of a company in the Improper Use section would be best for exactly this reason, too.

@jed Sounds good.
@leeds Here is an example to include in Examples of improper use, if needed:

Apple → ‘Date of Birth’ → ‘4/1/1976’
Apple does not have the value “is a”–> ‘Person’ This date is the founding date of the company and should be include in ‘Founded Date’.

1 Like

Yup agree this is worth pointing out. Added that example of improper usage you suggest.