Value statement: The founding date of a company is valuable contextual info, particularly about its maturity and growth. For instance, two companies with the same operating revenue could be interpreted differently if one was founded one year ago and the other a decade ago.
Definition: “The date that a company legally starts operating, as indicated by the intentions of the company’s founder(s) to start a particular business and usually the purchase or production of operating assets. The founding date would be the earliest of any of these two events in the company’s lifetime.“
Tooltip definition of the predicate: “The date that a company legally starts operating, usually indicated by the acquisition of operating assets and intentions to start a particular business.“
Type of value: String
For enums all possible values: N/A
# of accepted values: one. An entity should not have more than one founded date.
Estimated cardinality of this predicate: ~1 billion, the rough expectation on the number of companies/organizations will be in Golden’s graph.
Estimated frequency of new values or changes: The founding date of an entity is a permanent property.
Inverse Properties and Name: N/A
Examples of proper use:
- “Meta” “founded date” is “February 4, 2004” [citation]. A website that facebook is in control of clearly states that their public founding was February 4th, 2004.
- “Apple” “Founded Date” is “April 1st, 1976” [citation]. This partnership agreement signed by the founders of Apple is first known indication for starting the particular business around Apple, though the Apple computer I they would be selling existed prior to this date.
Examples of improper use:
- “Meta” “founded date” is “July 29th, 2004” [citation from SEC]. This date is from Meta’s (originally ‘Facebook’) certificate of incorporation, which is filed months after the company is formally organized. “July 29th, 2004” should be used as the “date of incorporation’ predicate instead.
Usage in other schemas:
- Wikidata ‘date of establishment’ https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q3406134
- Wikidata ‘date of inception’ https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P571 used for i.e. Ginkgo Bioworks and Coinbase
- Schema.org https://schema.org/foundingDate
Constraints: Should only be applied to companies/organizations
Qualifiers that apply to this predicate: N/A
Citation Required?: Yes
Also known as: Date of establishment, date of founding
Suggested applicable templates on golden.com: Company, Organization