Predicate Proposal - Full Address

Value statement: The address of an entity is valuable contextual data - it may provide signals about the history of the entity, the market its competing in, etc. Common queries such as ‘startup companies based in Miami’ will need location data that both this predicate and a broader ‘Location’ predicate could provide.

Definition: collection of official information that describes the location of a building, apartment, or other structure following the Royal mail standard address form (described here: How to address mail clearly, guide to clear letter addressing). The full address value should be an address which this entity has majority ownership in.

Tooltip: The physical address of the entity in USPS standardized address form.

Type of value: text

# of accepted values: multiple

Inverse Properties and Name: N/A

Also known as: Postal address, delivery address

Constraints: None

Estimated cardinality of this predicate per Entity

• Estimated median: 1 value
  • Estimated average: 2-3 values
  • Estimated maximum values: 100-200 values (?)
  • Estimated % of entities with a value: >80% of all company entities
  • Estimated frequency of new values or changes:
    • For port - extremely rare
    • For company, organization, laboratory - low, as commercial addresses tend to change once every few years when an office building location is changed / added
    • For people - low/medium, as people tend to stay at the same address for multiple years. The average tenure of home ownership in the USA is over a decade source, though this may not be the exact ‘address’ associated with a person.

Examples of proper use

• “3102 Highway 98 Mexico Beach, FL” - this is a precise address with little ambiguity, that matches USPS standardized address form.

Examples of improper use

• “The purple house in the Painted Ladies neighborhood in San Fransisco” - even if there is only one house that fits this description in the Painted Ladies neighborhood in San Fransisco, this is not a precise and direct address for the entity.

Usage in other schemas (ie Golden.com, wikidata, schema.org, etc.)

Restrictions (ie PII concerns): There are very strong PII concerns around ie a living person not wanting their home address added to the graph. Because those PII concerns for ‘full address’ are potentially very common for people, it seems logical to only allow this predicate on ‘company’ entities to start.

Suggested applicable templates on golden.com: company, organization, port, laboratory, educational institution

There’s likely a more official site / ISO to describe the standard form of an address than the USPS URL in the proposal, i.e. https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:iso:19160:-4:ed-1:v1:en.

Does anyone know where an accessible and readable version of the standard can be found?

I think what is here makes sense for U.S. addresses, but as mentioned it would be good to expand to something more international. I did a bit of research but could not see that there was any accepted ISO standard or other international standard. But I may be wrong.

The USPS has some general standards for international addressing but of course this is U.S. centric: https://faq.usps.com/s/article/International-addressing-requirements

Another option (though likely unwieldy and too complicated) is to include standards for each country. ie, for the UK: How to address mail clearly, guide to clear letter addressing

1 Like

Likewise found in research that there doesn’t seem to be a generally accepted ISO.

How to address mail clearly, guide to clear letter addressing is far more extensive than 2 Postal Addressing Standards | Postal Explorer. I’ve updated the proposed predicate description to leverage that resource instead.

1 Like

It may be possible to have this predicate map to a street address (“3102 Highway 98”) and then require qualifiers for the city, state, zip code, country. This could be easier to disambiguate or search across later.

2 Likes

While I do agree with adding further clarity to the geographical hierarchy, if we did take the route of separating full addresses into street address, city, etc., the wording needs to be able to be applied internationally. Namely, “state” particularly pertains to the US, whereas in other countries the equivalent may be prefecture, county, or region.

Headquarters” would be more appropriate than address since the prior is commonly used for residential purporses.

Nonetheless, this is a very good predicate to add.