Predicate Proposal - Headquarters Location

Field Name: Headquarters Location

Definition: Headquarters Location is the entity for the location where a company or organization has its headquarters. The Headquarters Location entity in most cases should be the city of the headquarters office of a company or organization that the entity has formally associated themselves with by posting it on a website, social media link, etc. that they control. Generally this is the location where the executive management is located. Regional headquarters offices and branch locations should not be included here, only the global/worldwide headquarters.

Tooltip definition of the predicate: Location where a company has its headquarters.

Type of value (one of the following): entity

Number of accepted values: single

Constraints: Only applies to entities where Subject “is a” = “Company” or “Organization” and Object “is a” “Location”

Citation Required?: yes

Examples of proper use:

Examples of improper use:

• Google’ ‘Headquarters Location’ is ‘Miami’ is incorrect because it is one of many additional office locations for Google.

• Google’ ‘Headquarters Location’ is ‘Delaware’ is incorrect because it is the place of incorporation of Google, not its headquarters.

Usage in other schemas: wikidata: headquarters location - Wikidata

Im generally supportive to the proposal.
However I would like to clarify how this predicate is going to be validated? In the case of Google and any other big transnational companies there will be no problem. But when it comes to medium and small companies, some problems could occur. What is the source of information a validator should use to check whether this predicate is valid or invalid?

International companies have several headquarters. only for multinational companies can confirm the citation, and this is about 1000 companies in total. I don’t think this proposal can be accepted.

@Ras Thanks for the feedback. I agree, further detail is need on how to validate. I modified a bit to clarify:

The Headquarters Location entity in most cases should be the city of the headquarters office of a company or organization that the entity has formally associated themselves with by posting it on a website, social media link, etc. that they control.

Does that make sense?

@lavvpix Yes, I have seen cases of international companies that have a regional “headquarters” but this is for the global headquarters as noted in the definition. Other regional offices can be noted in the Location field.

Then how is it different from the current headquarters? I very often came across companies that have several headquarters, so this cannot be one value.

Generally this is the location where the executive management is located, and seems to me to be reasonable to distinguish from regional / satellite offices. I have reviewed several international companies and not found any yet that are hard to distinguish. Do you have any examples of companies that you have seen with multiple headquarters that we could look at?

Yeah, I think that makes sense! I would just limit the sources to a website only, cause social media could show location not necessarily attributed to the HQ.
I would also suggest adding some examples of, let’s say, less obvious cases, like medium or small companies for example.

1 Like

You can see examples in Biocompanies, which have a large number of locations, respectively, have 3-4 headquarters. It takes time to search, but as I understand it, activity is not rewarded, so I reduced the activity Here on the forum and in the discord.