Predicate Proposal - ISO Certification

ISO: International Organization for Standardization ISO - International Organization for Standardization
ISO certification refers to the certification of products, services, or more often a quality management system against certain requirements of ISO standards.
Value statement:

• provides the consumer with additional confidence in the product/service/system;
  • gives the organization a significant competitive advantage;
  • helps to ensure compliance with safety conditions for health and the environment.

ISO does not allow anyone to use the ISO logo in the field of certification. The ISO logo is a registered trademark and may not be used by any person/organization outside of ISO without permission. Since ISO does not certify, it would be wrong for its logo to be used in this way. After certification and obtaining a certificate of conformity, the organization has the right to use the logo of the certification body depicted in the certificate, or to inform the buyer in writing about the ISO certification, for example, on product counterlabels.

Most Popular ISO Examples:
ISO 9001 (Quality Management)
AS9100 (Aerospace)
ISO/TS 16949 (Automotive)
ISO 17025 (Testing/ FDA)
TL 9000 (Telecommunication)
ISO 13485 (Medical Devices)
ISO 29001 (Oil / Gas)
ISO 27001 (Information Security)
ISO 14001 (Environment)
ISO 22000 (Food Safety)

Type of value: entity
Of accepted values: multiple
Citation Required?: yes.

Examples of proper use:
DBA Defense and Aerospace Business Solutions → ISO Code → AS9100/ISO9001 Certificate → Citation: https://dabsmfg.com/quality/

Constraints: Only applies when the Subject has the “Is a” value “Company” , “Organisation”, “Venture Capital Firm”, “Investment Fund”, “Educational Institute”, “Laboratory”

1 Like

I think the predicate would be clearer if named “ISO Certification”.
One challenge is that, as in the certificate linked to, the certificate does expire and needs to be renewed (in this case it seems) every 3 years.

That’s a good point, is it possible to add a start and end date to the certificate?

Nice proposal!
Agree on the title being best as ISO Certification.

I think for Type of value: text - this would be better as “entity”. Then we can link to the Golden entity pages such as:

We currently do not have the ability to add start and end dates to predicates, but it is in the works/planned!

Thank you @jen , I have corrected

1 Like

Hi, @lavvpix & everyone on this thread. I wanted to quickly give you an update on this proposal.

I think there’s broad consensus for creating it (I personally really like it!), but based on how we create data schema in Golden right now we need to pause this for just a bit and I wanted to explain why.

In order to support this predicate, we need to be able to create the entities that will serve as the objects in the triple. In other words, we need to create an ISO 14001 entity, a ISO 22000 entity, etc. But we can’t do that unless we define ISO certifications as an entity type, since every entity on the Golden protocol is required to have an entity type.

And so the fundamental issue is that while we could create “ISO certification” as an entity type, we want to be more thoughtful in our approach to creating entity types, how they superset/subset each other, etc. We’re in the midst of hiring an Ontologist whose job will be to help identify the right approach for this and a thousand other questions like this.

So I wanted to share that this is a great idea, we’re going to have to put it on the backburner for just a little bit while we hire that Ontologist and figure out a sustainable approach to creating new entity types.

@jed Thanks for the feedback.