Definition: The unique Legal Entity Identifier (LEI) for a company, registered with the Global Legal Entity Identifier Foundation https://gleif.org. Any company can register for one (small annual fee required) but one is required for certain financial transactions and regulatory reporting. The company information is verified against company records in the original jurisdiction, and includes legal and headquarters address, alternate names and parent company information.
It is never reassigned or reused so remains valid even if the annual registration has lapsed.
Each Company should have at most one LEI. If there appear to be more, then they are for different companies and potentially a separate company entity should be created. Check the Legal Name for the LEI that applies.
LEIs can be used as globally unique URLs following the pattern:
Or as URIs following the pattern:
Tooltip definition of the predicate: “The unique LEI for a Company, registered at https://gleif.org”
Type of value: String (always 20 characters)
For enums - all possible values: N/A
# of accepted values: One
Inverse Properties and Name: N/A
Examples of proper use:
- Microsoft → ‘Legal Entity Identifier’ → ‘INR2EJN1ERAN0W5ZP974’ is correct, as it corresponds with:
https://search.gleif.org/#/record/INR2EJN1ERAN0W5ZP974which is the the same entity (Microsoft) as the the subject of the triple.
Examples of improper use:
- Microsoft → ‘Legal Entity Identifier’ → ‘549300M3AZZ2FGZX6Y51’ is incorrect, as it corresponds with
https://search.gleif.org/#/record/549300M3AZZ2FGZX6Y51which is is for a subsidiary which is a different company: Microsoft Capital Group, LLC.
- Satya Nadella → ‘Legal Entity Identifier’ → ‘INR2EJN1ERAN0W5ZP974’ is incorrect since a Person does not have a LEI
- Coinbase → ‘Legal Entity Identifier’ → “5493004G3J2SC154DU06”, “549300QHD76EP6ZKTT48” is incorrect since a company can have only one LEI: the two LEIs are for Coinbase Global, Inc and its subsidiary Coinbase, Inc… Since the Legal Name triple for the company in Golden is “Coinbase Global, Inc” then only the first LEI, 5493004G3J2SC154DU06, should be used
Usage in other schemas:
- Usage in wikidata: Legal Entity Identifier - Wikidata
- Usage in schema.org: leiCode - Schema.org Property
Citation Required?: No - the LEI functions as its own citation as the URL for the GLEIF Legal Entity page can be formed out of the LEI