Predicate Proposal - Official Blog

Definition: The top-level URL of the official blog associated with this entity. A blog is a regularly updated website or web page, typically written in informal diary-style posts and displayed in reverse chronological order.

An Official Blog should be identified by some indication on the page that it is owned or run by the company or individual, for example a copyright, a tagline, or an about page.

Estimated frequency of new values or changes: Although many entities will have only one blog, it is possible for an entity to have multiple blogs, or to change blog platforms or domains.

Tooltip definition of the predicate: The official blogs associated with this entity.

Type of value: URL

# of accepted values: Multiple

Inverse Properties and Name: N/A

Examples of proper use:

Examples of improper use:

• Individual blog post:

Polygon → Official Blog → ‘https://blog.polygon.technology/polygon-reaches-first-sustainability-milestone-by-achieving-carbon-neutrality/
is incorrect because this is an individual blog post about Polygon, not the top level URL of the the blog.

• Unofficial or fan blog

Miley Cyrus → Official Blog → ‘https://infiniteloveformiley.tumblr.com/
is incorrect because it is a fan blog for the entity.

• News page

Delta Air Lines → Official Blog → https://news.delta.com/
is incorrect because this is a hub for news articles, press releases, and links to news mentions.

Usage in other schemas:

Constraints: Should only be applied to:

• Company, Organization, Venture capital firm, Person, Cryptocurrency, Product

Citation Required?: No, but if the official nature of the blog is not apparent from the top-level URL of the blog, a citation (to an “about” page, for instance) should be included for validation purposes.

2 Likes

Would like opinions on including Medium URLs in Blog given that these are also captured in Medium URL.

Frankly I kind of think we should not have a Medium URL predicate. I can’t think of any reason why a Medium URL shouldn’t be a blog url. (That said, I may not fully understand the Medium universe and could be wrong here.)

Agreed, I don’t know why you added it

Maybe when we migrate data from Golden.com into the dApp we could migrate all data from the existing Medium URL field into the blog field? (And then archive the Medium predicate on golden.com?)

Yes, agree that there is no need for it to be captured separately. My guess is that some of the earlier features of Medium perhaps set it apart as a publishing platform that was more than just blogs, but I think it is widely regarded now as blogging platform.

And it makes sense to me that we could migrate the data from the existing Medium URL field into the blog field (and then archive Medium). @leeds Any reason that you can think of why we would want to keep Medium separate?

How will we proceed from those cases when a company has a blog on the official website and a Medium?

@technopoint2020 Since the “# of accepted values” is multiple, that means both could be added under the same predicate.

2 Likes

I think that’s certainly an option to migrate Medium URL values to ‘Official Blog’ and deprecate the Medium URL predicate. My understanding is likewise that any Medium profile should also be considered an official blog.

I’m a bit worried the definition

A blog is a regularly updated website or web page, typically written in informal diary-style posts and displayed in reverse chronological order.

could lead to redundant triple values from other social URL predicates - i.e. many official websites are used as blogs, a Facebook profile could have informal diary-style posts displayed in reverse chronological order, etc. We can add constraints to prevent values intended for other social URL predicates - i.e. Facebook URL - to not be used as an official blog, but there likely isn’t a way to address the redundancy from official website (as there is no anticipated ‘pattern’ of an official website, and we don’t have a concept of ‘if predicate X has value Y, then predicate Z cannot have value Y’).

The other option to consider is defining a constraint so that Medium.com URLs, Facebook URLs, and other social URLs can’t be submitted for the ‘official blog’ predicate. That would address the redundancy between ‘Medium URL’ and ‘official blog’ without needing to deprecate ‘Medium URL’ and do the migration.

I’m 50/50 on that approach vs doing the deprecation. Having the specific Medium URL predicate will make it easier to discern where a user should contribute ‘Medium URL’ values to, i.e. if we deprecate ‘Medium URL’, a user needs to read the ‘Official Blog’ definition to understand Medium URLs can be contributed there, as I don’t think that’s clearly implied by the ‘Official Blog’ predicate name.

That comes with the tradeoff that a specific ‘Medium URL’ predicate means i.e. a user searching for official blogs would need to query on both ‘Official Blog’ values and ‘Medium URL’ values

1 Like

The definition of Medium as an official blog is not entirely correct. In Southeast Asia, they use analogues such as DouYin, a short video service from the creators of TikTok. KuaiShou is a direct competitor to DouYin. Weibo is a microblogging service similar to Twitter. Youku is a Chinese video portal similar to YouTube and Netflix. Bilibili is one of the most popular video hosting sites in China today, a direct competitor to Youku. Xiaohongshu is “Instagram with advanced social e-commerce features.” Toutiao - A company can post information about itself in the form of articles by attaching a link to the QR code of a WeChat account, very similar to Medium. Therefore, it cannot be argued that the official blog is a specific platform.

1 Like

Hi @lavvpix - Apologies for the slow reply; I have been doing some further research based on your notes, but am having a difficult time finding any references to Medium as comparable to TikTok or DouYin, or anything other than a blogging platform. But, I am limited to English-language sources. Do you have any key references for this (non-English is okay if I can read via Google Translate). Thank you!

Yes, I have been pondering this, and agree this is a tough call. I feel somewhat inclined to toward including Medium with Official Blog, and deprecating Medium URL because it does not make sense for users to look for the same type of data in two places.

If we go this route, I can modify the description to specifically mention Medium (as well mention social URLs that do not belong here such as Facebook).

Other thoughts?

I don’t quite understand why we need to complicate things and move things around. Medium is a separate blogging platform and !!not only !!! It is very popular and used by different companies for different purposes. Someone publishes announcements. I noticed that a lot of companies always link to the medium when they post on Twitter (because Twitter posts have a limited number of characters for publication). The company does not link to their blog, but to the medium.
Okay, even if you take the description "Twitter is an American microblogging service and social network. In that case, should it be included in the “blog” predicate, too?

Is there even an example where the official blog and medium have the same information. You don’t want to frame a separate, large platform under the description “blog.”

Another one of the disadvantages of putting it in the “blog” predicate. Let’s say they want to buy a database of cryptocurrencies from you. And there will be a list of social links that they need and the medium will be among them. You won’t unload the whole “blog” predicate for them, will you? which will also contain third-party links to official company blogs.

Simple is better than complex. Complex is better than complicated… ⓒ‎Zen of Python

Hi, everyone. So there are two conversations going on here that I’d like to pull apart.

#1 - Implementation of the Blog predicate. Based on the conversation above, it seems like there’s general consensus that the configuration & description above seems good to go & ready to vote on.

#2 - How the blog predicate and Medium predicate interact. There’s a bunch of different opinions here, but fundamentally they’re separate from the core configuration of the blog predicate, so I’d like to carry this debate to a separate thread.

Since there does seem to be general agreement on the predicate configuration above, I’d like to propose the vote below:

Blog predicate vote

• Yes, implement this predicate
  • No - do not implement

0 voters

Based on the voting above, the predicate definition above has been approved. It will be added as a web3 predicate in Golden soon!

This thread will now be closed and tagged appropriately.

4 Likes